Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Makin' Stuff.



I've been really wanting to do some graphic design and typography lately. It's hard to self-assign projects though. But I'm feeling a bit rusty and I need to fill my portfolio with more up-to-date design work. I can design if I have to... but most companies don't just take your word for it, ha. 

I was thinking I would play with some song lyrics or poems I liked, but it was taking so long to find something and I really just wanted to start something. So I rummaged through my art studio and found lots of stuff I use to create, and I do create with a lot of different things. I used to be really into collaging (again, not a real word, but using it anyway). Everyone always told me I was really onto something with that kind of work but I kind of abandoned it anyway. I don't really know why, probably for convenience. It's a lot harder to create that kind of stuff without a lot of materials at my disposal. Anyway, I used to go into classes, cafes, through my apartment/house, etc, carrying, fabric, yarn, construction paper, pieces of wood, sewing materials, glitter, you name it. Dirt, I even carried around a cup of dirt for a while. I used to always get the same response from most people.

"What the hell are you doing?"

I've gotten tired of explaining myself, so these days I just say something to the effect of "makin' stuff". This little phrase can actually get you out of a lot of trouble. I used to get away with trespassing just by saying... "this is for an art project" or "Can I record a song in your bathroom? It has excellent acoustics..." I once got to ride the carousel at the mall in syracuse all night because I said it was for a photography project (it was actually for a project, I didn't lie). People are surprisingly lenient when it comes to art. Or maybe people just don't argue because artists are notorious rule breakers anyway. Or if you're a glass half full kind person, maybe they just want the world to be a little more colorful too.

So I decided that would be my phrase and I would make something with that. I spent about 20 minutes scanning and photographing stuff and then about another 30 minutes making the image in photoshop. I used to physically make the words out of various materials back in the day, but I wanted to try something different and quicker this time. It's really hard to encompass all the things I like to do, artistically speaking. I don't know how some artists use the same medium and paint the same way for 30 years. I'd go insane. I think there are a lot of ways to approach a creative problem, and it's okay to employ different tools. 

And funny story, as I was walking downstairs with a tangle of yarn in my arms heading for the scanner my mother said "Uhh what are you doing?"

I think my response was actually "scannin' stuff." but close enough anyway...

5 comments:

  1. This is cute! It reminds me of the "art is hard" sign my friends made way back in the day. From what i've heard from other illustrators they keep a separate portfolio for design jobs. Its really great your pushing further into it. I think id rather work out then do typography haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, I just looked at that on your blog, I remember reading your post about it! Funny! I do actually like typography... it's really just hard to think of design projects. It's easy with illustration, ha.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sometimes ask my mom what she's doing. She's an art teacher that is eager to get back to school, right now. For example, one day I found a carved face dangling down from the doorway between the kitchen and the dining room. Made out of a paper clip, dental floss, tape, and I asked her what the face itself was carved out from. She responded an apple chunk. A dried out apple in the shape of a face is the first thing I see in the morning. Terrifying.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, Chris that made me laugh so hard. You've no idea.

      Delete