Tuesday, August 7, 2012

One Hundred Paintings Part XI


Good day! I'm updating once again on my "One Hundred Painting's Project." I aimed to have six paintings done by Tuesday but I was only able to paint four with others in progress. Maybe it's overreaching but I think it's good to try and push myself to do more than I think I'm capable of.

The first painting this week is kind of a reprise of painting number nine, "Don't Let The Night In". There were some problems with this painting at first. For example, one of these sheep had three front legs at one time. Fortunately, I was able to intercept my error and promptly rectify it before posting it to the internet and shaming myself. I'm pretty bad at math, but I'm not that bad. 

That wasn't my only mistake though...I'm like the infamous Alice, who gives herself very good advice but very seldom follows it. I often stray from the path and make the bold decision to try something new. Though, I didn't chase a frustrating and elusive white rabbit down a wormhole into another dimension. My curiosity luckily, has been curbed by lesser evils such as trying daring painting techniques. I'm so mischievous.

I tried this clever trick that Sargent used to do in his watercolor paintings (example here). He used these ultramarine blues for highlights, and siennas for shadows. It's completely counter-intuitive as most things get colder in color as they recede into the distance or are cast in shadow, but his paintings seem to have even more life somehow. Sargent does it way better than I do though and it looked awful when I tried the technique (especially in the context of a non-naturalistic painting). So I repainted the mountains these quirky gumdrop colors. I took out these heinous pine trees too. I think it worked better in the end because it made a greater contrast between the innocently sweet and the deviously sinister.

PAINTING XXXI
"Quiet As Snow"


I can't actually recall why I painted this painting. I think I thought to paint a wood pecker and that it made sense to put something inside of the tree that was unexpected. I knew immediately I wanted to compare the inside/outside and make that a metaphor for someone who might have a hard exterior. I meant to give the tree a more grotesque periphery but it ended up being too nice looking. I wanted it to have more of a contrast than it did. I think that was a flaw I should consider for the future.

PAINTING XXXII
"Inner Beauty"


This next painting was inspired by a conversation with friend and fellow illustrator, Heather Sisson. I told her how I had been meaning to paint a wolf or jumping spider (because they're just so darn cute) and it turned into a challenge for each other and some of our other illustrator friends to create an illustration with a spider in it. Heather also collaged a picture of my face, which is pretty awesome. (Apparently collage can not be used as a verb, by the way. I'm breaking the rules though, and if at this very moment the grammar swat team swings into my bedroom, then so be it. Let 'em riot!) My fellow friends and participators include Alexa Bosy and Chris Harrington (whose illustration isn't posted yet). I'm quite enjoying everyone's interpretations. It was really fun.

Anyway, I didn't paint a wolf and or jumping spider, but instead made a very peculiar illustration based on a poem I wrote last fall. We called them "nonsense poems" because the objective was to take a list of words that had no visible connection and make them connect in a way, or write a poem that was complete nonsense but became about the language rather than the content. Much like an abstract painter might make a painting more about color, line, contrast, ect, rather than an actual subject. In this case I wrote a poem about these avian spiders who come out of the woodwork, steal lemons and make off with them in the night. I could have made an avian wolf spider, but I always pictured them as more leggy, for lack of a better term. I'd been wanting to paint this scene for a while, so I seized the opportunity. 

There is a secret subtext that actually reveals how these spiders have scurvy and that's why they are compelled to steal the all healing-bitter-vitamin C saturated-citrus fruit. Obviously.


PAINTING XXXIII
"Scurvy"


This last painting was born out of a desire to re-paint a screen print I did my last semester of college with Johnny Appleseed as a raccoon. Instead I decided to make said raccoon a bandit (which really isn't far off in appearance or demeanor) who steals fruit. Like a raccoon-fruit stealing Robin Hood... but you know...bad. I could see a fun story coming out of this. I had fun with the title too. I'm all about alliteration. It just makes things so silly and catchy. 


PAINTING XXXIV
"The Fruit Filch"


That's all I have for now. I'm hoping to have a few more paintings up within the week, if life allows and fate dictates. Until next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment